Sunday, February 14, 2021

Week 1 Spring2021!

Hello Everyone!

I'm super excited to finally be working on TRAIN stuff once more! I'm certain it has a lot, if not everything to do with the new research project that I jump-started a couple months back in the midst of COVID-19. I'm talking about my 5-gallon live plant aquarium which is currently housing a male red betta fish called Vincent and a snail called Gary. The was a smaller snail named Beetlejuice but he sadly passed unexpectantly, I'm sure he had already been a bit since when I got him. I'm hoping to be adding a second snail to give Gary some company soon, though. The main question for my research is whether or not I can create a balanced ecosystem in my fishes tank with the help of beneficial bacteria, live plants, light, in a 5gallon tank, and only having to worry about minimal water changes and monitoring the pH, temperature, ammonia levels, nitrites, and nitrates. so far I have successfully maintained the tank going for 5 months, and I've only had to change 25% of the water maybe every 3-4 weeks.





This next week, However, I will have to do a big water change, and also replace some of the biofilter media due to the sudden passing of one of my snails. I first noticed something off when I got a very high reading of nitrates in my tank which is harmful to the fish, and that's when I realized it was due to the decomposition of the dead snail.

I also got a bad case of green and black algae on my plants, so I did have to trim down some leaves to stop the decaying of some plants thanks to the ALGEA. 🍃

SO. It feels a bit like a downer, but this is also perfect because I get to give my tank a little restart just in time for TRAIN! I'll do the water change and filter stuff next coming week and will keep you all posted! Good luck and Happy Valentine's day!💖




2 comments:

  1. Hanah! I am so impressed that you were able to keep the tank up that long. I haven't had fish since I was a kid but they didn't last long. Well done, I look forward to seeing your new system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have the opportunity a larger tank really helps with managing the water chemistry, gives you a bit more of a buffer when something like a snail dies. Sounds like you are getting the hang of it though. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Week 5: New snail has gone...Dormant?

So it has been a week since "Zoom" (snail 2) was added. Yes, that's the new name, it felt appropriate since this little dude z...