Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Week 4: New Nerite Snail Joining us!!!



 So earlier this week I was able to take a trip down to Petsmart and finally get Gary his new snail companion! As mentioned A while back. I lost a previous snail for unknown reasons. I do have a feeling he had come to me already ill. Due to this, the load of keeping the tank from being covered in algae fell all on Gary ( snail 1). 

But that is all now in the past because this week we can introduce our new buddy (snail 2). I still am not sure what exactly I'm going to call it. I was told he is a boy, and he is significantly faster than Gary. I'm happy to inform you that they are usually seen together and my Betta hasn't tried to bully either of them. He does have white-scale-like spots on his shell due to poor water parameters, probably high in calcium. I'm still researching what that means exactly. However, all tank mates seem to be very well for now.



It is still too early to check for water parameter changes but we will begin this soon!



Speaking about snail genders, Nerite snails seem to be one of the few if not only, snails that are either male or female, but this is impossible to determine until the snails either have eggs or not. Depending on what type of water they're in is what will determine if they will be able to reproduce or not. In regards to freshwater tanks like mine, I do not have to worry about overpopulation because the eggs won't be able to develop.
                                             









Michael. “Nerite Snails – Detailed Guide: Care, Diet and Breeding.” Shrimp and Snail Breeder, 26 Jan. 2021, aquariumbreeder.com/nerite-snails-detailed-guide-care-diet-and-breeding/.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 5: New snail has gone...Dormant?

So it has been a week since "Zoom" (snail 2) was added. Yes, that's the new name, it felt appropriate since this little dude z...