Thursday, February 20, 2020

WEEK 4: The Start of the Bacterial DATABASE

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a lovely long weekend, I certainly took the opportunity to catch up on sleep (finally). This week in the lab was a little exciting, for the conversation of the database for the bacteria research began and plans began to be made. The first thing that was made, was a list of all the possible tests that can be conducted in our lab to identify different characteristics of the bacteria that we will be looking at. In total there were seventeen tests, plus cell and colony morphology observations that can be conducted in our lab for each bacteria; which I am more than excited to be conducting. 



With the help of Matt, we both started a Google Sheet and began a database where the data gathered from these tests will be inputted, and will be shared between myself, Brittany, Matt, and Josh for now, since we are the main ones on this research project. It definitely took me a while to find an appropriate chronological order for these test to be done, but I have to give a huge shout out to Daisy for sharing her advice and experience with me to sort these test in a good order.  Once this step was done, the next task was to come up with a system on how we were going to input data. So we did a second sheet tab as a key, and we used this tab to create a drop-down for each Test column using the data validation tool. I this was probably the coolest part of this whole creation. At least for ME because I didn't have any experience with Google Sheets or Excel, so I can't deny the fact I felt kinda cool knowing this trick 😆.
The database still needs a lot of work of course, but what we have right now is a pretty strong base to build from. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 5: New snail has gone...Dormant?

So it has been a week since "Zoom" (snail 2) was added. Yes, that's the new name, it felt appropriate since this little dude z...